Defoe's Politics: Parliament, Power, Kingship and 'Robinson Crusoe' (Cambridge Studies in Eighteenth-Century English Literature and Thought)
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
4.3 of 5
Cambridge University Press; Digitally Printed 1st Pbk. Version edition (March 29, 1991)
History & Criticism
- 1715 downloads at 24 mb/s
This study of Defoe's politics aims to challenge the critical demand to see Defoe as a "modern" and to counter misrepresentations of his political writings by restoring their seventeenth-century context. Offering a full examination of Defoe's years as a political reporter and journalist (1689-1715), it recovers his traditional, conservative and anti-Lockean ideas on contemporary issues: the origins of society, the role of the people in the establishment of a political society and how monarchies are created and maintained as the means of achieving a beneficent political order. At the heart of Defoe's political imagination, Manuel Schonhorn finds the vision of a warrior-king, derived from sources in the Bible, and in ancient and English history. The model illuminates his original reading of Robinson Crusoe, which emerges less in terms of a family romance, a tract for the rising bourgeoisie or a Lockean parable of government, than as a dramatic re-enactment of Defoe's life-long political preoccupations concerning society, government and kingship.
Download Defoe's Politics: Parliament, Power, Kingship and 'Robinson Crusoe' (Cambridge Studies in Eighteenth-Century English Literature and Thought) by Manuel Schonhorn free
Related pdf eBooks
- Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and Alexander Selkirk
- Robinson Crusoe (A Norton critical edition)
- The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Shakespeare ...
- The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Oxford Pocket Classics)
- Robinson Crusoe
- The life and strange surprising adventures of Robinson Crusoe, of York, mar ...
- Robinson Crusoe Hallmark Books
- Moll Flanders (Classic Library)
- The Novels of Daniel Defoe, Part I (The Pickering Masters) (Pt. I, v. 1-5)
- Robinson Crusoe (Collector's Library)