The Hero Journey in Literature (British Academy Monographs in)
Evans Lansing Smith
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
3.9 of 5
UPA (December 30, 1996)
History & Criticism
- 1273 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1658 downloads at 25 mb/s
This book provides an overview of the hero journey theme in literature, from antiquity to the present, with a focus on the imagery of the rites of passage in human life (initiation at adolescence, mid-life, and death). This is the only book to focus on the major works of the literary tradition, detailing discussions of the hero journey in major literary texts. Included are chapters on the literature of Antiquity (Sumerian, Egyptian, Biblical, Greek, and Roman), the Middle Ages (with emphasis on the Arthurian Romance), the Renaissance to the Enlightenment (Shakespeare, Milton, Marvell, Pope, Fielding, the Arabian Nights, and Alchemical Illustration), Romanticism and Naturalism (Coleridge, Selected Grimm's Tales, Bront%, Bierce, Whitman, Twain, Hawthorne, E.T.A. Hoffman, Rabindranath Tagore), and Modernism to Contemporary (Joyce, Gilman, Alifa Rifaat, Bellow, Lessing, Pynchon, Eudora Welty).
Download The Hero Journey in Literature (British Academy Monographs in) by Evans Lansing Smith free
Related pdf eBooks
- The Mutable Glass: Mirror-imagery in titles and texts of the Middle Ages an ...
- The Mirror of Alchemy: Alchemical Ideas and Images in Manuscripts and Books ...
- The Fatal Hero: Diana, Deity of the Moon, as an Archetype of the Modern Her ...
- The Arabian Nights: A Companion (Penguin Literary Criticism)
- History of Biblical Interpretation, Vol. 2: From Late Antiquity to the End ...
- The Path of the Everyday Hero
- A Short History of Greek Literature
- Modernism (Contexts)
- Hero and Leander
- The Romance of Arthur: An Anthology of Medieval Texts in Translation