The Gospel According to John: A Literary and Theological Commentary
Thomas L. Brodie
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
3.6 of 5
Oxford University Press (November 27, 1997)
Bible Study & Reference
- 1298 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1896 downloads at 25 mb/s
This commentary expands Johannine studies in two directions. First, drawing on the methods of literary criticism, it gives new force to a view which is both ancient and modern--that John's gospel, far from being a poorly-edited mixture of sometimes-conflicting traditions, is in fact a coherent unity, an account of Jesus which, however diverse its sources, is a finely-chiselled work of art. Second, it indicates that the unity of John's gospel is founded ultimately not on history or theology but on spirituality. This too corresponds to a view which is both very old--John was always known as the spiritual gospel--and very recent. The present study spells out that idea in new detail. It indicates that the account of Jesus is so written that the tensions and complexities of the text reflect the tensions and complexities of human life, providing the reader not only with an account of Jesus but also with an anthropology--a map of the development of the human spirit.
Download The Gospel According to John: A Literary and Theological Commentary by Thomas L. Brodie free
Related pdf eBooks
- Encountering Jesus: Character Studies in the Gospel of John
- The Gospel of John: A Commentary - 2-Volume Set
- The Gospel of John as Literature: An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Perspec ...
- The Problems Of Jewish Christians In The Johannine Community (Serie Theolog ...
- The Strange Gospel: Narrative Design and Point of View in John (Biblical In ...
- Homilies on the Gospel of John 1-40 (Vol III/12) (The Works of Saint August ...
- John's Use of Ezekiel: Understanding the Unique Perspective of the Fourth G ...
- Life of Jesus, The: A Chronological Account from GOD'S WORD
- In the Beginning was the Word
- Four Other Gospels: Shadows on the Contour of Canon