The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
4.5 of 5
W. W. Norton & Company; 3/18/96 edition (April 17, 1996)
History & Criticism
- 1445 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1713 downloads at 25 mb/s
Robert Darnton's work is one of the main reasons that cultural history has become an exciting study central to our understanding of the past.His latest book vibrates with the strange political and literary energies of ancien régime France. The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France traces the merging of philosophical, sexual, and anti-monarchical interests into the pulp fiction of the 1780s, banned books that make fascinating reading more than two centuries later.
French literature of the eighteenth century means to us today Rousseau and Voltaire and the "classic" texts that, we imagine, gave rise to the Revolution. Yet very few of the standard works of the Enlightenment were as widely read as books whose names we have never heard, books that were the currency of a huge literary underground during the reign of Louis XVI. Included in this volume are Darnton's translations of excerpts from three of these works.
After twenty-five years of research, Darnton has summarized his findings in one brilliant work that examines the reciprocal relationship between private literature and the public world, the (illegal) spread of Enlightenment thought, and the interesting possibility that the writings of some not-so-famous authors contributed to the fall of the French aristocracy.
Download The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France by Robert Darnton free
Related pdf eBooks
- Sex History of France and Its Erotic Literature
- The Rise of the Public in Enlightenment Europe (New Approaches to European ...
- Voltaire and the Triumph of the Enlightenment
- The Oxford History of the French Revolution
- French Anti-Slavery: The Movement for the Abolition of Slavery in France, 1 ...
- Critics of the Enlightenment: Readings in the French Counter-Revolutionary ...
- Beaumarchais and the American Revolution
- Freedom's Moment: An Essay on the French Idea of Liberty from Rousseau to F ...
- A Traveller's History of France (The Traveller's Histories)