Dictionary of Medical Eponyms, Second Edition, Paperback
Barry G. Firkin, J.A. Whitworth
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
3.7 of 5
CRC Press; 1 edition (December 11, 2001)
- 1766 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1691 downloads at 25 mb/s
This is an attractively priced softcover edition of Firkin and Whitworth's internationally popular dictionary of medical eponyms used in internal medicine. Each entry tells the meaning of the eponym and provides bibliographic information about the person. The authors' considerable scholarship and the care they devote to their work is evident in their Introduction to this updated edition of the book: "Over the years many people have condemned the use of eponyms in medical practice, but eponyms are with us to stay whether the more fastidious like it or not, and will remain as long as medicine is practiced in its present fashion. Some remain permanently while others vanish after a short moment of glory; their usage changes as much as fashion. Down syndrome for example was not used in the 1950s and only Mongolism was listed in the indices of textbooks at that time. Curious regional differences are noticeable within the same country [and] there is even greater variation from country to country. The Plummer-Vinson syndrome as it is known in the United States and Australia is referred to as the Patterson-Kelly syndrome in the United Kingdom and the Waldenstrom-Kjellberg syndrome in Scandinavia. This book is an endeavor to list eponyms used in the practice of internal medicine in most of the English-speaking countries in the world. It is hoped that it will help nurses and medical students as well as practitioners, not only to inform them as to the usage of these terms but wherever possible to indicate briefly a little of the person whose name is used eponymously."
Download Dictionary of Medical Eponyms, Second Edition, Paperback by Barry G. Firkin, J.A. Whitworth free
Related pdf eBooks
- Medicine, Literature, and Eponyms: Encyclopedia of Medical Eponyms Derived ...
- Williams Syndrome - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Resea ...
- Li-Fraumeni Syndrome - A Bibliography and Dictionary for Physicians, Patien ...
- World Directory of Medical Schools
- Handbook of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Internal Hemorrhoids - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Re ...
- Handbook of Medical Psychiatry, 2e
- A Dictionary of Congenital Malformations and Disorders (Medical Dictionarie ...
- Stedman's Medical Dictionary, Student Value Pack (Book with CD-ROM)
- Chinese Medicine - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Resear ...