The Morality of Spending: Attitudes Toward the Consumer Society in America 1875-1940
ePub book size:
PDF book size:
DJVU, CB7, AZF, PDF, iBOOKS
4.9 of 5
Ivan R. Dee (February 1, 1992)
Business & Finance
- 1538 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1567 downloads at 25 mb/s
"For centuries," Daniel Horowitz writes, "Americans have worried about the consequences of comfort, affluence, and luxury. They have often greeted a rising standard of living with a mixture of pleasure and disquiet. Anxious about the impact of ease on the commitment to hard work, savings, and self-control, and ambivalent about the implications of increased wealth, many in the United States have expressed concern about new levels and kinds of consumption. This book traces the development of such misgivings." "Clear, judicious, thorough and unfailingly interesting; a solid work on a most significant topic."―Technology and Culture. "An illuminating study...intelligent and perceptive...full of interesting insights."―Reviews in American History. "Daniel Horowitz has made creative use of diverse sources in order to integrate several fascinating strands of American cultural history.... His findings have broad implications...."―American Historical Review. "An imaginative and carefully researched study.... The Morality of Spending accomplishes what it sets out to do: not a sociology of money but a history of ideas about money."―Journal of Social History.
Download The Morality of Spending: Attitudes Toward the Consumer Society in America 1875-1940 free
Related pdf eBooks
- Roman Social Relations, 50 B.C. to A.D. 284
- Losing Our Souls: The American Experience in the Cold War
- Ohio's Western Reserve: A Regional Reader
- Dominion and Civility: English Imperialism, Native America, and the First A ...
- God: An Obituary
- Fighting Faiths: The Abrams Case, The Supreme Court, and Free Speech
- Fighting Faiths: The Abrams Case, The Supreme Court, and Free Speech (Corne ...
- Work, Consumption and Culture: Affluence and Social Change in the Twenty-fi ...
- Stronger Than Dirt: A Cultural History of Advertising Personal Hygiene in A ...
- Frontier Mission: History of Religion West of the Southern Appalachians to ...